Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center out to prove immaturity and genius go hand in hand with brand-new exhibit!
Opens Sept. 4 – in time for Labor Day weekend!
Immaturity is NOT a four-letter word – literally and metaphorically. In fact, the Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center – A Very Special Project of Children’s Museum Houston, is out to prove immaturity and genius go hand in hand with the debut of its brand-new exhibit KLUTZ® Amazingly Immature on Sept. 4, 2021 – just in time for Labor Day weekend! Produced by Children’s Museum Houston in partnership with KLUTZ® and based on KLUTZ® Encyclopedia of Immaturity Vol. 1 and 2, the KLUTZ® Amazingly Immature exhibit will offer you the opportunity to embrace your inner zany genius while exploring what these behaviors can teach you about science, engineering, math, and literacy.
“KLUTZ® Amazingly Immature demonstrates that laughter and silliness are vehicles for learning,” said Keith Ostfeld, the Discovery Center’s Director of Educational Technology and Exhibit Development. “The exploratory thinking that is associated with ‘immature behaviors’ raises children’s motivation to learn and lowers intimidation factors associated with subjects like physics or math. With KLUTZ® Amazingly Immature, we are connecting STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) subjects to the real world through wacky, hands-on activities which stimulate creativity and problem solving while building communication and social skills.”
KEEPING THE FORCES OF MATURITY AT BAY
With activities such as pulling a tablecloth out from under a place setting to learn about inertia, building a boomerang as an introduction to elements of aerodynamics, and folding paper rings to explore geometry, KLUTZ® Amazingly Immature will create an environment which encourages multi-generational communication and learning through laughter, play, comedy and memories of different generations’ childhood hijinks. Activities include:
- CARD THROWING: Master the challenging technique of tossing playing cards.
- DINNER DISRUPTORS: Turn spoons into catapults or make them do somersaults.
- FLY THE IMMATURE SKIES: Engineer paper airplanes.
- IMMATURE INVENTIONS: Mash up your own inventions.
- IMMATURE MAILINGS: From flip-flops to messages in bottles, you’ll be amazed at what the USPS will deliver!
- IMMATURE MAKINGS: Make exciting new creations using stuff you can find at home.
- IMMATURIGAMI: Transform money into wearable bling!
- IMMATURITY RETURNS: From down under, build a cardboard boomerang.
- JUGGLING: Learn how to juggle scarves in four easy lessons!
- NOISY IMMATURITY: Bug your friends by building “annoyers.”
- PHOTO EFFECTS: Create funny photo illusions by manipulating perspectives.
- QUARTER SNATCHING: Can you catch coins off your elbow?
- REFLEX RULER: Test your reaction time! Are you better than a grown-up?
- SNAP LIDS: Make a fountain drink lid fly at the snap of your fingers.
- STRAW SHOOTER JETS: Make paper jets fly fast by shooting them off straws.
- TABLETOP GAMES: Bring paper football games back to the lunchroom!
- TABLECLOTH PULL: Take the challenge! Can you yank a tablecloth without dropping the dishes?