This winter, Fort Bend County Libraries (FBCL) will offer fun, online programs specifically designed for high school-age teens in grades 9 through 12.
The programs will be either livestreamed via Webex or pre-recorded videos. Registration is required for the livestreamed programs only. An email with the link for the Webex meeting will be sent to all who register on FBCL’s online virtual calendar.
To register for a livestreamed program or to view the how-to videos, go to the Fort Bend County Libraries website – www.fortbend.lib.tx.us – click on the “Classes and Events” tab, select “Virtual Programs,” and find the virtual program on the dates listed.
Young Adult Advisory Councils
- “YA Advisory Council” – Tuesday, February 9, 4:00-4:40 pm; Wednesday, February 17, 4:00-5:00 pm; or Wednesday, February 24, 4:00-5:00 pm.
This event will be livestreamed via Webex at the designated time. Teens will have opportunities to earn volunteer-service hours by expressing ideas, organizing upcoming activities, and suggesting new programs and books that would be of interest to young adults at the library. Registration is required.
Young Adult Book Clubs
- “YA Book Club” – Wednesday, February 10, 4:00-5:00 pm
This event will be livestreamed via Webex at the designated time. This month, readers are invited to talk about the genre of their choice. Registration is required.
- “YA Book Talk” – Thursday, February 18 (pre-recorded video)
FBCL library staff share news & views on some captivating Young Adult lit for teens.
- “YA Book Club” – Wednesday, February 24, 4:00-5:00 pm
This event will be livestreamed via Webex at the designated time. This month, readers may discuss To Kill a Kingdom, written by Alexandria Christo. This book selection is available on OverDrive and in print. Registration is required.
Young Adult Online Gaming
- “YA Game Hour: Ultimate Disney Trivia” – Thursday, February 18, 4:00 pm.
This event will be livestreamed via Webex at the designated time. Teens aged 13 and up who enjoy the challenge and excitement of a trivia competition are invited to join in this virtual event, putting their knowledge of Disney to the test. Registration is required.
FORT BEND COUNTY LIBRARIES – YA PROGRAMS – FEB (pg 2)
Young Adult Crafts and Activities
- “YA: Coffee-Filter Valentine Craft” – Friday, February 5 (pre-recorded video)
In this video tutorial, learn how to make personalized Valentines with coffee filters.
· “YA Craft: Making a Valentine Wreath” – Tuesday, February 9 (pre-recorded video). Learn how to use Deco Mesh to make a stunning wreath that is weather-proof and sturdy enough to use outdoors, yet delicate and beautiful enough to use indoors as well. The materials that will be used include: 2 rolls of Deco Mesh of any color (21 inches x 10 yards), matching pipe-cleaners, ribbons and other decorative accessories, floral wire, and a 16-inch wire wreath frame.
· “YA Basic Embroidery” – Friday, February 12, 2:00 pm.
In recognition of National Embroidery Month, FBCL will host a livestreamed class for teens who would like to learn the basics of embroidery. Learn about the tools needed and the different stitches that can be used for a variety of purposes. Meet other teens who also share an interest in embroidery! Registration is required.
· “YA Craft: Origami Valentine” – Friday, February 12 (pre-recorded video)
Discover how these delicate art forms are made by twisting and folding paper into unique shapes. In this episode, learn how to fold a 3-D heart that can hold a small gift.
- “YA: Update Your Wardrobe with Embroidery” – Wednesday, February 17 (pre-recorded video). In recognition of National Embroidery Month, library staff will demonstrate how simple embroidery can transform ordinary garments into extraordinary wearable art.
- “YA Craft: Glitter Shoes” – Thursday, February 18 (pre-recorded video)
Learn how to use Mod-Podge® and glitter to dress up an old pair of shoes.
- “YA: DIY No-Bake Dog Biscuits” – Tuesday, February 23 (pre-recorded video)
Learn how to make dog-treat biscuits from scratch.
- “YA: Popcorn Cupcakes” – Thursday, February 25 (pre-recorded video)
The activities are free and open to the public. Registration is required for the live Webex sessions only; a link to the Webex session will be emailed to participants who register. To register online at the library’s website (www.fortbend.lib.tx.us), click on “Classes & Events,” select “Virtual Programs,” and find the program on the date indicated. For more information, call the Fort Bend County Libraries’ Communications Office (281-633-4734).