More socially distanced holiday activities on tap for December
Galveston Island offers holiday fun with several events kicking off this weekend and more to come in December. This year, the island’s family friendly festivities will continue with adjustments and new guidelines for social distancing and health safety.
Here’s a preview of what is happening on the island throughout the holiday season:
- A Railroad Christmas will kick off this weekend and will run through Dec. 23 at the Galveston Railroad Museum. Visitors will have the opportunity to get a socially distanced photo with Santa as Mr. Claus will stand on a train while families can pose below. On Fridays and Saturdays, guests can enjoy Movies at the Museum in the courtyard. Treats will be available at the Whistlestop Café. Details can be found at www.galvestonrrmuseum.org.
- Moody Gardens Holiday in the Gardens continues through Jan. 2. Here, visitors can stroll through Festival of Lights, a mile-long trail of illuminated holiday displays, live music, festive food and more. Other attractions include an Arctic Ice Slide, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer 4D experience, Holiday 3D films and train rides. Moody Gardens attractions will operate at limited capacity levels as mandated by the State of Texas. And, masks must be worn while in public spaces. Holiday hotel packages are also available. Visit www.moodygardens.org for details.
- Miracle Pop-Up Bar at Daiquiri Time Out (DTO) will return for its third year Nov. 23 through December. It’s one of only four Texas venues that are part of the worldwide Christmas-themed cocktail pop-up bar. Miracle locations will toast the season with a menu of festive holiday cocktails – like the Fruitcake Flip and Christmapolitan — set amid over-the-top décor. DTO will operate at limited capacity according to state and local mandates. Get the details at www.dtogalveston.com.
- Holiday shopping in Galveston’s Historic Downtown District will be especially festive this year. From November through January, the area will be illuminated by an extensive lighting and décor overhaul that will encompass the main corridors of the charming historic downtown district from Strand to Postoffice Streets, making it the perfect backdrop for a holiday shopping spree.
- The Galveston Elfie Selfie scavenger hunt challenges holiday visitors to Galveston to seek out Elfie Selfie stickers throughout the island and strike your happiest pose for a chance to win prizes. The promotion runs Dec. 1 – Jan. 3, 2021. For more information see, www.visitgalveston.com/
- In addition to enhanced holiday decorations downtown, many shops, galleries and boutiques will participate in the inaugural Galveston Holiday Tree Decorating Contest set to take place from Dec.1 – Jan. 4. This unique holiday lets shoppers admire the creatively decorated trees and gives them the opportunity to vote on their favorite entries. They also make for great holiday photo-ops! Details can be found at participating businesses.
- Holiday music fans are in for a treat. The Bryan Museum presents Holiday Delights: Lone Star Christmas Concert Dec. 13 from 4-6 p.m. Be entertained with Christmas carols, while immersed in the beautiful Museum grounds filled with Christmas lights, and enjoy holiday classics like hot chocolate, spiked cider, and Christmas cookies. Precautions regarding COVID-19 and a limited capacity will be implemented. Guests are encouraged to bring their own towels, blankets and chairs. Visit www.thebryanmuseum.org for details.