A good resume is your chance to make a good impression on a potential employer. Your CV is your first step towards getting a chance of in-person interview. It is fruitful to spend time and effort on the presentation and content of your resume. It helps you in obtaining a position which you want. Therefore, it is necessary to highlight your experience, skills, and values.
Sometimes when people start to make their CV, they write unnecessary information which makes their resume boring and unattractive. Make sure your resume should be accurate and concise. It should not be longer than two pages. It should be according to the job requirements you are applying for.
An employer will want to find the following information in your CV:
- Your Personal information, including your name, present and permanent address, contact number and email, date of birth, gender, and nationality.
- Skills: write about your strong area
- Experience: Including your current or last job. In this section, you should add your job title, nature of the business, dates of employment, achievements, duties, and the name of your employer.
- Qualification and education: In this area, write about your school, college, and university with your grades.
- Interest: it is optional but gives you a chance to portray your personality — generally in this section, people write about what you do in your free time.
Do you know your CV presentation is something more than writing two or three pages about your personal information, education, and your experience? Your resume can make you the most suitable and best-qualified applicant for a job, but if it is disorganized, rambling and does not highlight your key skills, then you’ll probably be overlooked. To get an interview call, your CV should show clarity, usefulness, relevancy, and quality.
If you think you cannot create a good and organized resume, then no worries. In this digital age, numbers of online websites are helping their clients to get their jobs. People provide them their data, and they make their resume. Best online resume builder can also help you to get a chance of your job.
Apart from online help here, I have some useful tips which will prevent your CV from being overlooked.
1. Review Successful Samples
Every time before writing or updating your CV, review some resumes, then choose format and style that highlights your achievement and strength.
2. Select Best Format
There are numbers of resume formats available. To create the best resume, choose its format wisely. Depending on your professional and personal circumstances, choose functional, targeted, or combination resumes. Choose one that best fits your educational background, skills, and work experience.
3. Basic Font
Choose a format for your resume that is easy to read. Make sure your font is clear and easily readable because your CV won’t get a thorough reading. It gets scanned in 30 seconds. Scanning will be tough if it exceeds two pages or poorly organized.
4. Use Headings and Subtitles
Use this trick to make your resume eye-catching. Avoid writing in one flow; in this way, your description won’t sound impressive.
- Use subtle colors highlights to draw eyes on important information
- Blend your writing style with the language that software bots will understand
- Wisely apply italic typeface, and bold that catch the reader’s attention
- Use wide margins, clear headings, and clean type.
5. Career Summary
Your career summary is designed to give a brief introduction of what you do and who you are. Despite writing in long paragraphs, write it in points.
- Try to grab the attention of the employer right from the beginning.
- Write your career summary in a way which attracts your employer that you are the solution to their problems.
When you send or deliver your CV, follow the instructions of the employer. If you are sending an email resume then make sure that your attachment is correct and hold all required information.