KATY, Texas (May 18, 2019)— Team Supra riders Nic Rapa and Sean Silveira each were victorious in the 2019 Supra Boats Pro Wakeboard Tour season opener at August Lakes in Katy, Texas, on Saturday. Rapa picked up the win in Wakeboard, with Silveira topping the Wakesurf class.
Rapa recorded a near-perfect score of 97.67 in the Finals to edge Tony Iacconi (93.00) and fellow Team Supra rider Shota Tezuka (90.67). Rapa earned the two highest scores of the day, with a 94.00 in Semi-Final Heat 1. For the native of Australia, it was his third-career PWT win and extended his streak of victories to three straight seasons. Rapa will carry the series point lead into Round Two in June.
Silveria, the defending Wakesurf champion, landed a score of 85.9 in the Finals to defeat John Akerman and Team Super rider Parker Payne. For Silveira, it was his third PWT victory in the last four events, dating back to last year. The native of Orlando, Fla., will carry a 10-point lead in the standings into the second event of the season next month as he chases another title in 2019.
Highlights from the day include:
- Nic Rapa, who competed in the final event last season with a broken fibula, has been on the podium in four of the last five PWT Wakeboard events, dating back to 2018.
- Tony Iacconi finished second for the second straight event, dating back to last year. The Aussie, who was fourth in points last year in the Wakeboard class, is one of seven Australians on the Pro Tour this year.
- Shota Tezuka, who is just the second Japanese athlete to compete on the Pro Tour, earned his first podium finish since 2016 on the Wakeboard side.
- Sean Silveira has finished first or second in four consecutive PWT Wakesurf events, dating back to Round 2 of the 2018 campaign.
- With a runner-up finish in Wakesurf, John Akerman was on the podium for the first time since Round 2 of last year.
- The third-place finish for Parker Payne in Wakesurf was his second straight podium, after winning the 2018 season finale in Warsaw, Ind.
The 2019 Supra Boats Pro Wakeboard Tour continues with the second event of the season on Saturday, June 22 at Mantua Reservoir in Mantua, Utah.
The Supra Boats SA550 returns as the official towboat for the 2019 tour. Known for its clean, consistent and controlled wakes, the SA550 provides a balanced ride, precise handling and the platform to push athletes to the next level.
For more information on the Supra Boats Pro Wakeboard Tour, visit supraboatspwt.com.
About Skier’s Choice Inc.
Skier’s Choice, Inc. is the proud manufacturer of Supra and Moomba performance inboard wakeboard, wakesurf and waterski towboats. Supra has been a leader in the inboard industry since 1981. The Supra brand is synonymous with innovative styling, luxurious interiors, highest construction quality, and unsurpassed wake performance. The Moomba brand delivers quality and performance far above its class. Moomba offers the best wake performance technology and none of the fuss. The company is privately held and is located in Maryville, Tennessee.
Skier’s Choice encourages all boating participants to learn and follow safe boating practices. There are risks associated with boating and water sports activities. Be mindful of the risks, familiarize yourself with the environment, know your limits and conduct yourself accordingly.
Supra Boats Pro Wakeboard Tour Sponsors
In addition to title sponsor Supra Boats, the Pro Wakeboard Tour is sponsored by: Indmar, Boatmate Trailers, JL Audio, PTM Edge by Protomet, Fat Sac Ballast Systems, Zero Off, Acme, Ronix, Otter Box, Kawasaki, Connect-A-Dock and Yamaha Generators.
About Wakeboarding Magazine
With an emphasis on high-quality photography, in-depth interviews with top riders and reviews on all the latest gear, Wakeboarding inspires its audience with fun and relevant content, anchored by expert boat analysis, quality instruction and how-to features. Its mission is to lead, connect and inspire by enlisting the talents of the most experienced professionals in the industry across multiple media channels. For more information, visit www.wakeboardingmag.com.