Houston, TX – Bayou Land Conservancy (BLC) is pleased to announce the selection of Northwest Harris County Municipal Utility District 10 Board of Directors as 2018 Conservation Champion. The award will be presented at the organization’s Annual Gala on Saturday, November 10th. Northwest Harris County MUD 10 is the landowner of the Cypress Wildlife Preserve, located on Little Cypress Creek in northwest Harris County, adjacent to Fritsche Park. BLC holds a perpetual conservation easement on the preserve since 2012. The board is being recognized for going above and beyond to protect and defend the conservation values of the preserve. The award will be presented by Harris County Precinct 4 Commissioner R. Jack Cagle.
Each year BLC also recognizes a volunteer with the Trailblazer award. The 2018 Trailblazer is outgoing board chair, Lisa Graiff. Ms. Graiff is being recognized for her extraordinary dedication to the mission of land preservation during her tenure on the board. Her award will be presented by 2017 Trailblazer John Stacy.
Features of the evening:
- The keynote speaker will be acclaimed Director of the Center for Texas Beaches and Shores, Dr. Sam Brody. Dr. Brody is a Regents Professor and holder of the George P. Mitchell Chair in Sustainable Coasts in the Department of Marine Sciences and Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning at Texas A&M University. His keynote will be “Protecting Open Spaces: A pathway to flood-resilient communities.”
Brody’s research focuses on coastal environmental planning, spatial analysis, flood mitigation, climate change policy, and natural hazards mitigation. He has published numerous scientific articles on flood risk and mitigation, and recently authored the book, Rising Waters: The causes and consequences of flooding in the United States, published by Cambridge University Press.
- Land Conservation Trivia Game
- Mark “Merriwether” Vorderbruggen, Foraging Texas will provide foraged foods from the local area for attendees to sample; Riki’s Reptile Relocations will bring reptiles to pet; and Wild South Tea is providing Native Yaupon Tea tastings
- Silent Auction and Raffle featuring mountain bikes donated by Bike Lane, camping gear donated by REI, and a kayak donated by Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Major sponsors this year are Southwestern Energy and Targa Resources
If you are interested in attending the Bayou Land Conservancy’s Land Lover Gala, contact Melissa Carter at email@example.com.
About Bayou Land Conservancy: Bayou Land Conservancy protects land along streams for flood control, clean water, and wildlife. BLC is a nationally accredited, community-sponsored land preservation organization working to permanently protect land, with a focus on the streams that feed Lake Houston, an important source of drinking water for millions in the region. More information is available at our website: www.bayouland.org.