Clean up operations continue at the Intercontinental Terminal Company (ITC) plant in the City of Deer Park. Residents are encouraged to monitor and stay informed about ongoing events.
Nearby school districts have cancelled classes as a precaution and health authorities continue to monitor air quality. Residents should follow their local offices of emergency management regarding safety information and road closures.
Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management is working with partners to keep you informed.
According to Harris County Public Health (HCPH), and based on current air monitoring reports, there continues to be a low health risk for the community. Residents experiencing symptoms should contact their healthcare providers.
- Common symptoms include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Burning, irritation and redness to skin, eyes, nose and throat
- Headaches, nausea, or dizziness
- At-risk Populations
- Pregnant women
- Individuals with certain chronic health conditions or immunosuppressed
- Individuals with respiratory diseases (asthma, COPD, emphysema)
To help answer any health related questions, the Ask My Nurse hotline by Harris Health System is now open from 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. seven days a week. The number is 713-634-1110. Nurses on the line will help with questions about sign and symptoms. Additionally, individuals with more serious symptoms, call 911 for any life-threatening emergency.
HCPH wants to remind individuals that the situation may lead to strong feelings of stress or anxiety. If this is the case, talk to you someone you trust or contact the National Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746, which offers 24/7 emotional support.
HCPH will continue to working with partners, including hospitals, to monitor the ongoing situation and will provide updates accordingly.
What you should do:
- Listen to local officials for updates on the situation and for any actions you may need to take.
- If you are asked to shelter in place, know what to do:
- stay indoors
- close windows and doors
- turn off A/C systems
- Monitor local weather/wind forecasts.
- Check with your school district about closures, go to their website or follow on social media.
- For traffic information go to www.houstontranstar.org
Where you can learn more: