RICHMOND – Travel back in time to experience a historic holiday season this December at the George Ranch Historical Park! Starting on Saturday, December 2, the living history Park will showcase more than 100 years of Texas holiday customs, traditions and decorations at its annual Christmas in the Park and Campfire Christmas events.
Christmas in the Park: December 2, 9, 16 & 19-23
CHRISTMAS IN THE PARK:
- Activities are included with general admission.
- Learn about the Yule Log and how to decorate using simple greenery like the early Texian pioneers.
- Learn how to make Civil War-era homemade ornaments and orange pomanders.
- Explore the extravagant Christmas decor of the Victorian era, and see some very special holiday relics from the Fort Bend History Association’s artifact collection.
- Tree House Story Time with Santa: 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Cattle Demonstrations: 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Holiday Craft Workshops: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. ($5 per person extra)
Campfire Christmas: December 9 & 16
An annual guest favorite, Campfire Christmas is an unforgettable trip back in time to Christmas pasts! Guests will:
- Enjoy carolers and live music;
- Eat a scrumptious holiday meal;
- Take a tractor-drawn hay ride throughout the Park;
- Visit the 1830s Jones Stock Farm to participate in a Christmas Eve celebration with the early Texas pioneers;
- Enjoy cider and coffee around the campfire with the George Ranch cowboys, who are spending the evening on a trail in the 1870s;
- And experience a Victorian Christmas at the 1890s Davis Victorian Mansion, including a special Dickens production staged by the children of the family!
Tickets are REQUIRED and are $50 for adults and $45 for children, seniors and groups of 10 or more.
REGULAR ONGOING ACTIVITIES:
- Historic House Tours
- Hands-On Historical Activities
- Cattle Roping & Sorting Demonstrations
- Dipping Vat Demonstrations
- Livestock Encounters
- Blacksmithing Demonstrations
- Heritage Trail Nature-Watching
The Park is located at 10215 FM 762 in Richmond. General admission is $10 for adults, $9 for seniors and $5 for children ages five to 15. Children four and under are free. Operating hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, visit www.georgeranch.org or call 281-343-0218.
ABOUT THE PARK:
One Family. Four Generations. 100 Years of Texas History!
The George Ranch Historical Park is a living history museum that showcases Texas history from the 1830s through the 1930s. The Park is anchored by four different home sites: the 1830s Jones Stock Farm, 1860s Ryon Prairie Home, 1890s Davis Victorian Mansion and 1930s George Ranch Cattle Complex. Regular activities include historic home tours, living history demonstrations, hands-on activities, cattleworking and dipping vat demonstrations and more! Guests should allow three to four hours to visit the Park and should dress for the weather.
The George Ranch Historical Park is a living history partnership between the Fort Bend History Association, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, and The George Foundation, a Texas Charitable Trust.